Professional Pathways

Behind the Bricks: A Glimpse at Germany’s Real Estate Rental Market

Posted on October 27, 2023

Germany has a strong rental culture, and renting is a popular choice for many Germans due to various factors, including a well-developed rental market, tenant-friendly laws, and a cultural preference for flexibility in housing arrangements.

The percentage of people living in rental housing in Germany has traditionally been quite high compared to some other countries. In 2021, approximately 48% of households in Germany were living in rental housing, while the remaining 52% were homeowners or lived in housing cooperatives (source: Statista). This compares to 36% of Americans who live in rental housing, while the remaining 64% are homeowners. The homeownership rate has been gradually increasing over the years, partly due to government incentives and low-interest rates.

Many real estate agents in Germany specialize in the rental market. This is particularly important in cities like Berlin, where a significant portion of the population rents rather than owns property. These agents help tenants find suitable rental properties and assist landlords in managing their rental portfolios.

Next Week: Behind the Bricks: A Glimpse at Germany’s Continuing Education for Real Estate Agents